I love all things ube. I don’t know if it’s the brilliant and intense purple color or the subtle, hard to describe flavor. It’s probably both. Ube is popular in Hawaii and a favorite way of preparing it is to make an ube ice cream or soft serve. With my love of no-churn ice creams well documented, I started thinking about how to make ube ice cream at home.
Bring on the ube sweetened condensed milk
Not long ago I wrote about my discovery of ube sweetened condensed milk. This product is making me rethink a number of traditional recipes like this version of banana pudding. Since sweetened condensed milk is a major component of the no-churn ice cream formula, swapping it with its ube sister was all that needed to be done.
The only thing that needed to be considered was the type of alcohol to use in the ice cream. Alcohol gives the no-churn ice cream a softer consistency and can also enhance the flavor – e.g., using Malibu rum in coconut no-churn ice cream or Kahlua in coffee no-churn ice cream. As no ube liqueur exists (that I’m aware of), I chose to use vodka. But using Malibu rum would also fit with the tropical theme.
If you can’t find ube sweetened condensed milk, then use the traditional variety and add some ube extract (you can order it online). You will need to do some experimenting to get the right flavor and color.Print
No-Churn Ube Ice Cream
- Total Time: 6 hours, 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
This easy ice cream gets its flavor and brilliant purple color from ube sweetened condensed milk.
2/3 cup ube sweetened condensed milk (like Sweet Cow)*
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, well-chilled
3 tablespoons vodka, to taste
- In the bowl of a standing mixture, whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Gently add ube sweetened condensed milk and whisk until the mixture thickens (just past soft peaks).
- Slowly whisk in the vodka (the more vodka you add, the softer the ice cream will be).
- Spoon the ice cream into an airtight container and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Allow the ice cream to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
*If you cannot find ube sweetened condensed milk, you may substitute regular sweetened condensed milk and add ube extract – you may need to experiment depending on the strength of the extract.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Inactive Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes
- Category: dessert, ice cream
- Cuisine: Hawaiian-American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 221.29
- Sugar: 14.96 g.
- Sodium: 42.48 mg.
- Fat: 15.65 g.
- Saturated Fat: 9.95 g.
- Carbohydrates: 14.93 g.
- Fiber: 0 g.
- Protein: 3.08 g.
- Cholesterol: 50.69 g.
Keywords: ice cream, ube, sweetened condensed milk