Food in Jars Mastery Challenge #1: Marmalade

January 18, 2017

I was first introduced to Marisa McClellan and her blog Food in Jars several years ago. A friend learned of my interest in making jam and sent me Marisa’s recipe for blueberry jam from her first book. And from that point I was hooked. Her cookbooks and blog make canning very accessible. I also attended a class she hosted when she came up to Massachusetts a few years ago.

What is the Mastery Challenge?

This year, through her blog, Marisa is hosting a Mastery Challenge to inspire her followers to expand their skills and test their comfort levels. In looking through the twelve challenges she’s selected for the year I see that these will indeed be tests for me. Thus far I’ve made different jams but have shied away from some of the more difficult ones. I’ve also done a little pickling – dilly beans and pickled okra – to varying degrees of success.

Making marmalade

Using the small batch marmalade recipe offered for the challenge I tried my hand at this month’s challenge. The only difference, and it may be a big one, was I used navel oranges because I couldn’t find Seville oranges.

The recipe seemed straight-forward enough. My biggest challenge was getting the marmalade to the right temperature of 220°- 221° F. I decided to use my candy thermometer as opposed to my instant read thermometer that I usually use. More than anything I was curious to see what the differences might be between the two.

Running into issues

The candy thermometer seemed prone to fluctuations throughout the cooking period. I stirred the marmalade to distribute the heat and see if it would regulate the temperature but I was never confident in its reading. I finally resorted to using my instant read thermometer.

Had I planned better I would have used the plate-in-the-freezer method as a backup. As it was, I didn’t want to overcook the marmalade. In the end I may have overcooked the marmalade a bit as the recipe yielded 3.5 instead of 4 half pints.

The other thing I goofed up big time was not checking if I had any lids. I did not. I only had lids that I used previously so rather than having a batch of shelf-stable marmalade, I now have a batch of refrigerator marmalade. Ah well, I’m not too worried. It will be eaten in good time.

The result

The batch I made is not as sweet as the store-bought marmalade I’m used to which is likely due to the oranges I used. I definitely want to try making marmalade again, maybe using a different combination of citrus to see how the results differ.

I wouldn’t say I’ve mastered this skill – who can say that after trying something once – but I’m less intimidated and am looking forward to trying it again. I’d say that’s a pretty successful start to the Challenge. We’ll see what next month brings.

You May Also Like…

When Restaurant Recipes Change

When Restaurant Recipes Change

Updated August 23, 2023 We've all been there, we go to a restaurant, expecting, even anticipating a specific dish only...

Eating What We Grow

Eating What We Grow

When I moved back to Hawaii, one of the things I looked forward to was starting a little vegetable garden. Three years...


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *